PanAm is looking to enter back into the market as a modern, future-focused airline that focuses on engaging their customers through understanding their needs. The goal of this project is to design an efficient, simple and easy to use mobile application for the customer which allows them to have more freedom and control over their flight booking and travel experience. This is a capstone project completed through Designlab’s UX Academy in the month of May 2017.
I acted as the Project Manager, User Researcher, Ux Designer and UI Designer for the Pan AM Airways mobile application revamp.
My Design Process
I followed human centred design and lean UX design thinking process to make sure that my design decisions were supported through user research and feedback.
Empathize through User Research
Using both qualitative and quantitative research methods, my research started off with secondary research to uncover existing information on the subject. Within this, I conducted competitive analysis to see strengths and weaknesses of similar companies, a historical review of the Pan Am brand, and market research to analyze existing flight travel statistics.
I then moved onto surveys and user interviews to gain further understanding of the potential user through both quantitative and qualitative questions. Through qualitative, open-ended interviews, I was better able to build empathy with potential users and uncover users current behaviours.
The goal of this analysis is to arrive at a deeper understanding of the current problem space by looking at how similar companies are currently trying to solve the problem.
I consolidated my secondary research and survey results to produce a product development feature matrix. The features have been prioritized by their level of importance to the business and users. Important features (p1) will be prioritized in the first round of design.
Through my research, I uncovered many frustrations and insights on industry trends and current gaps. These findings have been distilled into a persona and empathy map.
Driven from the users insights and needs, as well as the ethnographic, demographic and psychographic information distilled through the previous research, the user persona was created. For the empathy map, I focused on the what the users said, thought, felt and did, and distilled the users insights and needs from the research findings.
Leveraging the user personas, and synthesized data from the user research phase, I created a sitemap, user flows and wireframes.
Having organised the content into categories, I create a sitemap to show the relationship between the content on the site. The page colours and vertical positioning reflect the page hierarchy.
I then used the sitemap to see how users would complete essential tasks, and mapped these tasks out with user flows to identify any opportunity for additional streamlining of task completion.
Once the wireframes were ready for testing, user testing was conducted with 15 participants through multiple platforms. Test subjects were chosen who fit the persona demographic.
In person testing was done using a prototype software called InVision; online usability testing was done through Usability Hub and Verify App. With InVision User Testing, a prototype was made in the Invision App, and a detailed usability testing plan was referenced to instruct the participants through completing 5 different tasks. Usability Hub and Verify App are online user testing platforms that generated 5 random participants for completing a click test.
Feel free to try the InVision prototype.
Test findings from user testing were compiled into an affinity map which will serve as a guideline for our next round of design iteration. The Affinity map includes “Recommendations” and “Changes to Implement” which was addressed in wireframes before moving onto UI Design.
Reflection and Next Steps
This case study was my first capstone project in the Designlab UX Academy curriculum. I had a limited time constraint of two weeks to complete most of the deliverables. I was able to experience the challenge of having a lack of resources, and learned how to manage my time, adjust my work, and prioritize in order to accomplish specific goals but still produce results that were high-quality within my given constraints.
My next steps for this project would be to roll out all of the UI design to approved wireframes, create another visual prototype to test the designs, and iterate on the designs as necessary.